22 May 2010

Hairnets and other firsts

Today I volunteered at the temple, in the cafeteria.  I didn't even know Boston Temple had a cafeteria.  (Side note: I think the MTC cafeteria has ruined cafeterias for me forever.  The smells took me back.  They're not bad smells, they're just distinct cafeteria smells.)  When I arrived in the kitchen, the manager handed me a hairnet.  I don't consider myself to be vain or overly concerned with appearances, but really, there HAS to be a more attractive alternative to hairnets.  Those things universally look bad, and a little creepy as long as we're being honest.  Anyway, it was a first.

Another first was the Lilac Festival at Arnold Arboretum.  I've never seen so many different kinds of lilacs (I'll spare you the pictures because they all pretty much looked like lilacs).  It happens every year on Mother's Day and it's the one day they allow picnics.  I can't really understand why they would prohibit picnicking in a public park.  Anyway, I couldn't think of a better way to celebrate my mother than enjoying one of her favorite flowers.  (I guess one way could have been spending it with her.)


Yes, that's my winter coat.  I was also wearing a sweater and sweatshirt.  May 9th folks.  This coat should have been stored away for the season.  It clearly wasn't.


Two fellow picnickers Joanne and Charlotte

There are lots of Red Sox fans in the world.  They all like to go to every game and there are lots of games.  I quickly decided that I wasn't interested in being among them.  Part of the reason is that I live off the D line.  I'm sure I've complained about the MBTA before, but here's just  a short round.  The green line divides into 4 the B, C, D, and E lines.  If you've spent any amount of time in Boston, you know that Kenmore is the closest stop for Fenway Park.  Three trains service Kenmore, the B, C, and D lines.  But the D line has a stop called Fenway.  Tourists wrongly believe that's the stop they need so they all cram on to my train, instead of using all available lines.  Overcrowding is my real beef, I guess. 

People have told me since I got here the Fenway Park is magical.  My friend Cami even told me that once you see a game at Fenway, you'll be a Red Sox fan forever.  I didn't really believe it.Then I watched my first game at Fenway.  It was magical.  I became a fan.  (Not the kind that follows the team or watches the games so much as the kind that just wears the sweatshirt/t-shirt/cap.  Speaking of which, I should really get one of those things.)



It was a cool experience.  There's a sense of camaraderie in the park.  You can tell the posers from the die hard fans, but they all sing "Sweet Caroline" together with the same amount of vigor, and they all love their Sox and hate the Yankees.  It almost makes you want to be that zealous about something.

I was a fan for about a week and a half.  Then I realized that the only place I like Red Sox fans is in Fenway Park.  Everywhere else they're kind of irksome.  Perhaps that sounds harsh, but then you should try riding the T with a model on a game day.


3 comments:

jeff said...

Maybe they sell Red Sox hairnets. Then you'd be set for anything.

Anonymous said...

I love lilacs! They smell so heavenly and are so beautiful and spring-y! I was in St. George for Mother's Day Weekend, so I didn't get to spend it with my mom, either (but totally made up for it).

We totally had snow on Monday. As in snow on May 24. I am too scared to put my winter coats away just yet - I'll probably need them again!

I went to one game at Fenway when I lived out there and am a Red Sox fan for life. Sorry about the crowded trains, though - that's annoying!

Micah E. said...

Looks like your summer is of to a smashing start.