26 May 2010

And Done, again (this one's for you, rach)

I feel like I've been claiming done for several weeks.  There have been about four weeks of deadlines and after each I got a false sense of being finished, only to realize that I wasn't really.  My real finish date was Monday at noon.  But due to computer (or maybe user) errors beyond my control (I guess I would have control as the user) the real done will be tomorrow when I meet with my instructor for some final instructions on my website (I can't get the links to work).  (Whatever happened to good old fashioned emailing the final project?)  I can tell that I'm not done and that my vacation hasn't actually started, because I have yet to actually sleep in.  I just want a little sleep.

My summer plans (for when I'm actually done) are pretty wide open.  I'm spending the next few weeks assisting with an art installation.  I'll be honest.  I don't really get a lot of art.  Especially the contemporary stuff.  I think this installation will look really cool, but I can't really see the symbolism.  The more I work with artists though, the more I appreciate what they're trying to do.  (Most of them anyway.  Some people are just crazies trying to get a reaction.)

The artists I'm working with now are really great.  They're into public art and working with inner city youth to make things beautiful.  That's something I can totally be on board with.  So far my participation with the project has included 6 hours of cutting Mylar into 42X6.75 inch strips, and 8 hours of painting tomato stakes red (they're originally green, which won't do).  The installation (Shallow Waters) will open in Chelsea Square Park as part of the Chelsea Art Walk on June 12-13.  If you're in the area, you should totally check it out (or even help us install on June 5).

1 comment:

Perry Family said...

yeah for being done...and i'm with ya on the art thing...don't get it, and probably never will! the contemporary stuff is stumping! hope you have a fantastic summer!