24 April 2010

Patriot's Day

First off, I am appalled by the number of photos I've taken in the past 6 months (since I came to Boston) that are of basswood and chipboard masses, and other inanimate school-related objects.  I really need to get out more.  Fortunately I realized that in time to completely blow off homework and spend Patriot's Day the way our forefathers intended.

It started bright and early (we left my friend Charlotte's house at 3:45 am).  You have to get to Lexington Green early if you want to see the reenactment (yes, they really do that).  It started around 6:00 am and the crowds were dispersed by 6:20.  The locals really get into it and it was interesting to watch.  There were just a handful of Minutemen against a whole brigade of Red Coats and it made me appreciate the bravery of those who fought the battle so outnumbered.


It was really cold.  We both had heavy coats and two blankets wrapped around us.



Mostly I watched what was happening through other peoples' view finders.  The VIPs had the front row and I don't think they ever heard of "Down in front."  I would have reminded them, but it seemed inappropriate.



Following the reenactment, we went to Concord for breakfast at Helen's.  I have been to Concord exactly 2 times, and both times I have brunched at Helen's.  You could say it's a bit of a tradition for me.  Also, if you've never seen Concord town center, it's quaint.  Brunch was delightful (both times).

Patriot's Day has another name (for the slightly less patriotic among us.  They call it Marathon Monday.  Since 1897 Boston has hosted the Marathon.  This year over 25,000 people (minus the several hundred who were grounded in Europe because of the volcano) finished the race.  It's always so inspiring to me.  These people, much like the early patriots, are doing something incredibly hard.  There's such a sense of camaraderie.  One instance was particularly moving.

 (or you could just follow the hoards of people)

My friend Cami and I were watching at Kenmore Square, which is a mile or so from the finish line.  Right in front of us, a man got an intense leg cramp and was down.  He must have been running with a friend who started stretching his legs out for him.  After a minute or so, the injured man encouraged his friend to continue on without him.  At which point a police officer (one of Boston's finest, indeed) continued the leg stretching for several minutes until the man was able to get up again.  As he wobbled off to finish the race, a different runner (a shout out, he was Team in Training) slowed down to pace him to the finish.  It's pure human kindness at it's best, and I love watching it.

Some of Boston's Finest

We walked to the finish line, which was another kind of amazing place.  I've never seen what the New York Marathon finish line (or any other one for that matter) is like.  The race side was crazy.  People were screaming and cheering and the announcer was calling out finishers and home towns.  On the back side of the line there was an incredible peace and serenity.  Runners were quietly taking in what they had just accomplished.  Further down, more runners, wrapped in those reflective blankets were spread around the Common.


The finish line is right in front of the Boston Public Library and the route went directly past my school.  Incidentally, that's the real reason we didn't have school that day.  Not so much that they're patriots, but more that they're agoraphobes.  Either way, I'll take a day of inspiration over a day of studio critiques anytime.


3 comments:

Micah E. said...

I'm hoping to run the Boston Marathon in 2011. You can come cheer for me. It'll be our Boston reunion.

Raquel Thomas said...

Hey, I'm hoping to run the Boston Marathon, too! I'm also hoping to win the lottery...

But I'd come cheer (and brunch at Helen's)!

Glad you're back, you've been missed!

Perry Family said...

oh how fun to be apart of it all!!