To make matters worse, I did my taxes and remembered what it was like to have money. Then I applied for school loans for next year and wondered if I would ever have money again. It was at that point that I talked to my friend Becca. We started teaching in NYC the same year. Frustrated as I was (and far enough separated from teaching that I could start to remember the good times) I asked her to remind me why I left a job that provided income, health benefits, and excellent vacation time.
She sent me the following, which is a chat conversation that we had in about November of last year, when she was having the same feelings. (Only I don't think her situation was desperate enough to wish her teaching job back.)
In my own words:
Cristi: look at the big picture
remember the reason you did it
the year might start out rough
8:13 PM but you'll come out on the other side even better than you started
it's things like that that give me comfort
we left really secure jobs that we didn't love
to pursue something that we did love
8:14 PM and we're obviously not at all motivated by money
8:15 PM if you had it to do again, would you?
For the record, YES, I would do it again.
No comments:
Post a Comment