A few weeks ago as I was sitting in Kenmore Square waiting for a friend, I noticed again the giant neon Citgo sign displayed prominently on Commonwealth Ave. I remember first thinking it was strange that it's even on tourist maps, almost as a worthwhile site itself. It stands there in the square but not above a Citgo gas station as you would imagine. I wondered about its purpose to my roommate. She didn't know either. It just seems out of place and pointless.
Flash forward about a week. I was in a bit of a rush leaving school. I had just been to an art supply store in Cambridge, which did not have the appropriate chipboard for my latest model. Instead of going to the supply store near the school, I opted for the one that was on the way home. It seemed that I would save some time, which is of the essence. Unfortunately, the harder I try to implement time saving processes into my life, the more likely I am to make major time wasting mistakes. Thus was my experience that day.
I waited on the platform at Hynes and watched a B and C train go by. It seemed very likely that the next one would be my D train. I was so sure, in fact, that I didn't bother confirming before I loaded myself onto it. The next stop was Kenmore, where B, C,and D trains stop. The stop after that should have been Fenway, where my art store is located. Imagine my surprise when I looked up and didn't recognize the place I was in at all. I had never even heard of the stop before. I exited the train, which I now noticed was a B train, upset that this would cost me some valuable time. But I had to laugh. Sometimes I'm an idiot, what can you do? Anyway, as I was taking in my surroundings, I noticed a mirage off in the distance in the form of the Citgo sign. Then I knew where I was. I walked towards it, because fortunately, I've been lost in that neighborhood before (i might have fallen asleep on the bus and missed my stop).
Sadly the story didn't end there. Once I got to Kenmore and navigated through the ridiculous mess of crosswalks, I discovered that art supply store #2 also didn't have the right kind of chipboard. I ended up having to bus back to the train to school to hit the supply store there. So much for time savers.
This is my new skyline. The colors were amazing earlier in the season.
No comments:
Post a Comment