16 October 2009

I know the tricks.

I was sitting in my Materials and Methods class. It's the only class I have that's typical. Meaning there are worksheets and quizzes and right and wrong answers. (everything else is VERY subjective and professors seem to tiptoe around feelings a lot). Our professor hadn't handed homework back for awhile and with the midterm is coming up it was starting to be an issue. He brought it all in a stack that day. He handed me a stack of several sheets and I noted that they all had red 100 marks on them.

My reaction should have been one of joy. However, judging on the amount of work that had stacked up since the semester started and the fact that said professor had been fighting a cold for at least a week (a very familiar situation to me), I surmised that he just graded the work using the check method. (A common teacher grading tactic in which one simply marks whether the work is done, without really focusing on correctness. I admit, I used said tactic on more than one occasion.) Obviously that is ridiculous, but I couldn't help thinking that my work was under graded. What has teaching done to me?

2 comments:

Perry Family said...

that is hilarious! at least you got good marks!! and good for you, going back to school, especially grad school is awesome!! I bet you are loving the east coast!!

Jill said...

Seeing you today was the best thing that has happened to me in 2009