09 November 2009

The Threshold

I've been hesitant to post pictures of my work because I'm fairly certain it's not interesting to anyone but me. This latest project however, made for some interesting bits. My roommates laughed at me more than once as I created my "body device" and I guessed that both of my readers might also enjoy a good laugh at my expense.

The assignment was to study a simple movement (mine was to go down to tie your shoe), and then create a wearable device that helps the user mimic the movement. This is what I came up with. Keep in mind, this is the cause of more than one sleepless night for me. It involved several trips to the Home Depot, the purchase and use of a hand saw, and some hand stitching.


The project continued as we used the movement to influence the design of a threshold (the alley space that leads to the entry of our studio building). The only thing I remember my reviewers saying is that my final model was "leaps" above my initial one (which must have really sucked).

4 comments:

Micah E. said...

So fascinating! I'm definitely hiring you to remodel my house someday.

Jill said...

That's hot

Raquel Thomas said...

It's the prettiest shoe-tying-movement-device I've ever seen!

(And, apparently you have three readers!)

Kimpossible said...

Oh Cristi, I can teach you how to tie your shoe. Why don't you just move back to NYC and we, the fine people of New York, will teach you all these things that you should have learned long ago.