16 October 2009

Back on the other side of the desk.

It was no secret that teaching wasn't really my thing. So, rather than endure one more year (which consequently would have earned me $17,000 to be used for college loans), I moved to Boston. I am attending the Boston Architectural College, a small design school located in a neighborhood that is the antithesis of my previous setting. Boston called and I answered.

I'm pretty happy. I'm saying this as I sit in my apartment in the middle of what they call a Nor'easter (which from what I can gather is code for really cold, horrible weather.) The heat's not on yet and the windows could REALLY use some weather proofing, so for me to like it anyway is something.

It's been an interesting adjustment to student-hood for several reasons. 1) the incoming students at the BAC are the same age as the first class of freshmen I taught. That's kind of weird. 2) I'm not used to budgeting, at all. It's a strange sensation watching my bank account shrink. 3) I'm not sure I was prepared for the amount of work involved. Model making is a beast in its own right and it takes serious time, as does hand drafting. I remember pulling only 2 all-nighters in undergrad. I've already topped that in the first month and a half.

An adjustment note unrelated to school: the T really does suck. Say what you will about NYC (and I have) they know public transit.

1 comment:

Raquel Thomas said...

Wait. A. Minute. Now I'm not so sure thinking of me while on the T was such a great thing, after all!

You are one brave woman, Crissi, and you really never cease to amaze.

Good luck!