We pulled in to Brookline (which borders the great city of Boston and is my new home) at about 7 p.m.. It took about 30 minutes to unload my few belongings. As we were leaving the apartment in search of food, our kind neighbor, Eddie, informed us that there is no overnight parking on the streets of Brookline. When we asked about our options he started talking about the police station and parking permits and special lots.
We finally got directions to the police station. We walked in and asked about parking. The police officer kept asking us where we were staying. Jessica made the horrible mistake of telling them we had arrived from New York just moments before. The four men standing around the desk physically leaped back in horror, mumbling inaudibly about Yankees fans. The couple that walked in behind us made it very clear that we weren’t together. We quickly dispelled all fears about our baseball loyalties, and were allowed to walk away unscathed, but for future reference: do not talk about New York in Boston. Certainly don’t tell Bostonians that you lived there. It will NOT give you street cred, It will only make them nervous/angry.
Fortunately, I still have a Utah driver's license and a Utah phone number. That will allow me to move among the Bostonians, virtually undetected. My secret New York past must remain a secret.
P.S. I'm not hating. This is about survival.
6 comments:
And that is exactly why Ry and I don't like Boston fans. (no offense to anyone). They are just die hard and CRAZY! That is really funny though, hope they treat you nice out there!
Oh, I coulda toldja that. Living in Boston for a year, I just became a Red Sox and Patriots fan by default. No exceptions. Even the kids I was a nanny for had entire wardrobes of Red Sox shirts, hats, etc before they were BORN.
Survival is key!! Way to keep the Utah thing going!! :)
ps, I do like the red sox better than the yankees though...you'll have to go to a rd sox game for me since you are right there!! so jealous!!
Can anyone say, "O-H-I-O"? Now those are some rabid fans...
You have the most exciting life of just about anyone I know (I have a friend who's moving to Tel Aviv with her husband and children, but you're running neck and neck with her)!
Can't wait to hear about your adventures in Bahston...I guess I'll have to learn a new accent.
Come back!!!
Post a Comment