Prepare yourself, this is a monstrously long post.
Some of the highlights (including only a few pictures from the Laurel Glen Tour, I don't want to give away all the surprises)
Why, yes, this is me with Buck Owens at the Crystal Palace. The Buckaroos were our dining entertainment.
The SIGN.
He got his own star at the Crystal Palace.
See? They wouldn't lie about something like that.
The Clock Tower
We were all pleasantly surprised by the museum. Totally worth the $9. They had relocated a bunch of historical buildings into one parkish area. I (as one who appreciates history) really liked it.
Dewar's Ice Cream
"The greatest thing about Bakersfield," obviously that would be part of the tour.
The Red and White was pretty delicious.
BHS
I heard so many stories about this place, it was almost like I did some time there.
Tour of the power plant begins here.
Rog, showing us the planned expansion of the plant.
Some of the stuff they burn to create energy, including tires, almonds, and pistachio shells.
Going up!
Lewis, giving us a private tour of the plant. It really was interesting.
The beautiful view from the top. Rog and Sue told me that those golden hill are one of the reasons that California is the "Golden State."
Jessica denied it, but I'm going to go ahead and believe them.
Six stories up. It was a little scary to be able to see the ground below you.
View from the bottom.
Bakersfield's best BBQ. The tri-tip was delightful.
Smyth's cookies were also delicious.
Shout out to Sue, for feeding me so well all week.
Edwards Cinema, the only thing that came up when we Googled "Bakersfield Tourism."
I really need to work on the swimming skillz. I got "sharked" by all the little kids.
Davin, Kea, and Blake: our swimming pals. They were loads of fun.
Stake President's house (he and his wife have 10 kids)
RSP's house
Would you believe that 3 Mormon families lived on this street at the same time?
The Starkey's house. Sadly I wasn't able to actually meet any of the Starkeys, though I've heard a lot about them from several sources.
A miracle on Glen-something street! Some discarded electrical tape!
Someone must be living right!
Dennis' house. Sadly, he couldn't join our walk. Not ideal.
Someone Roger currently home teaches. She's still active.
Roger's now sporting the ankle socks. Thanks Sue!
Another Alma Mater
A refreshing swim after a refreshing walk.
Bryce was kind enough to take us rock climbing.
The hat is very uncharacteristic, but it was SO hot.
Remember triple digits and it was high noon.
The L.A. Temple on my way out.
My camera stayed behind in Bakersfield for a few days.
Apparently, this is some of the fun I missed.
1 comment:
And now you know how truly cool I am; that is my birth place and home for the first three years of my life!! Sounds like you got the special treatment in that glorious city.
Post a Comment