27 July 2009

RAGBRAI XXXVII

Register's Annual Great Bicycle Ride Across Iowa. That's right folks, I rode my bike across Iowa. Don't ask me why. I'm still not really sure. However, National Geographic seemed to think it was a pretty big deal, one of the 50 Best American Adventures (#7 to be exact). Check that one off the list. And a great adventure it was!

A few things I learned about Iowa:
1. Iowa is NOT flat. Someone has spread some vicious rumors. I've never seen so many hills in all my life. They just kept coming at me. I am happy to report that I didn't meet one I couldn't climb though (thank-you granny gear, she saved me more than once).
2. False, the wind does NOT blow from west to east. On some days, the wind blows against you no matter which direction you ride. On those days you pedal downhill as fast as you can only to find that you're at the bottom going zero mph.
3. Mr. Pork Chop is a delicious stop, and a RAGBRAI tradition. They hand you a massive pork chop on a napkin and there's lunch. They follow the trail in a big pink bus, that looks like a pig.
4. Corn and Pork: it's what's for dinner. (and lunch. every day.)
5. Presbyterians make the best pie. I'm fairly certain that pie-making is taught as a part of Sunday School. Seriously, amazing pie.
6. Most towns aren't technologically prepared for 10,000+ guests. When I could get a cell signal, the networks were overloaded. (We missed our parents in the first town because we couldn't contact each other.) but irregardless of that...
7. It's true what they say, Iowa is filled with some of the nicest people I've ever met. Everyone was so friendly and ready to help you out. I could live there someday.

Here are some of the highlights:

Dipping my back tire in the Missouri River, a RAGBRAI tradition.

This was obviously Day 1. The novelty of the corn wore of pretty quickly.

Home sweet home after Day 1. Don't be fooled, I was NOT actually talking on the phone.

This was typical of the kind of show the towns put on for us. That flag was HUGE!

Food is especially delicious when you've earned it with a 10-15 mile morning ride.

10 minutes earlier it had been raining harder than I've seen it rain in my LIFE! I was riding blind for several miles. As I pulled into camp, the sun came out.

This was the shower situation. In the street with pedestrians, cyclists and cars alike.

The famous Mr. Pork Chop.

No, SERIOUSLY, there were so MANY bicycles everywhere!!!!

Not just bikes, but their owners too. We tripled the population of some of our host towns overnight. This is Indianola, my favorite. We took over the city park.

And done.
Dipping my front tire in the Mighty Mississippi. Get it? We rode from river to river.

Tired, tanned, and ready to go home.

2 comments:

Stacy said...

Wow. What else can I say? You are just awesome.

Raquel Thomas said...

Pretty much what Stacy B. said--plus, you're a wicked good Yahtzee player!