We started out the year with a new APO (assistant principal, organization). She's out of control. I'm used to the system where I just sweet talk whoever I need to to get what I want. With her system it's just not happening. We're talking filling out supply forms that have to be signed by my AP and then reviewed and filled in a few days. I usually just talk Mr. B into letting me go through the supply closet and take what I want. I think even Mr. K the technology guy is cracking down. It might have something to do with the fact that I'm on my 5th projector this year. Mine was in beautiful contdition when I turned it in last year. Not so much with the other teachers. I had to ask for another one today. He told me he's out, that he gave the last one to me already. I'm a smartboard teacher, I need a functional projector. I think he's going to help me out this last time. He might kill me if I make any other requests though.
Copies, that's another story altothether. For 3 years I've been honing my copy machine un-jamming skills. I could fix almost any copier. Paper jam? No problem. Toner issues? Forget about it. The xerox and I were connected. This year they won't even let teachers use the copier. WHAT?!!?!? We have to submit our sheets with a request form at least two days in advance. What kind of teacher plans two days in advance? (I'm irritated but can't really say anything because this is really the way proper schools should run. I should have my lessons planned a few days in advance, but let's be honest I'm still trying to wean myself from the one-chapter-ahead-of-the-kids method of planning.) I've found ways around the copy machine woes. I don't use copies. I make my kids write EVERYTHING out. They hate me for it but I admit that I love the sound of nothing but pencils scratching the paper. It's a blissful situation when they have so much to write that there's no time to talk.
My Little Wahines
12 years ago
5 comments:
Micromanaging sucks and I think it's completely pointless and ineffective. And like communism. :) I'm sorry - sounds like a huge pain!!
I think you need to try harder as a sweet talker. Don't just give in.
joseph--
don't think i haven't tried. this woman is one of the few people in the world who is unmoved by my charming personality. i have volunteered myself to head up recycling though, so that should earn me some points.
I think you should institute recycling rules modeled on Japan's. Put up confusing charts and everything.
HAhhhaaa...aahhhh... you are the kind of teacher I hated... too much writing and not enough talking.. keep up the good work!
Post a Comment