So, the union rep at my school is an awesome guy. He's totally on top of everything and all for helping the teachers do what they do best, so I totally support him. Last year the Math Liason to the union decided to spend more time improving his pedagogy skills (it sounds questionable, but it's not) so his position fell vacant. Liason to the union is certainly not a glamorous position, but it is important to making sure that all departments in the school are working well together. So Carl approched me at the end of last year and asked me if I would be willing to serve in that capacity. (Lucky for him it was a day that I hadn't planned to quit.) I agreed, mostly because he didn't really have any other options.
So far this year I've been to a couple of meetings, and although I'm not opposed to what goes on or what is discussed, I have to be honest. I'm not really a supporter of the union. In fact I think I might be a little anit-union. Is that bad? Union people come to talk (and when I say union people I mean people who work full time for the union) I feel like they're just blowing smoke. They always talk like it's them (the DOE) against us (the teachers) and I can't see how that is really beneficial. Clearly it's necessary to have protection against crooked administrations, but shouldn't that be fairly rare? And if it's not shouldn't there be some kind of major overhaul in the works? I'm hacking up my left lung as I sit here and write this. The cold bug bit early this year. The good news is I have the sexy voice of a chain smoker.
My Little Wahines
12 years ago
2 comments:
Not bad at all! I had the same position at my school (until I quit the union...similar feelings). Good luck with that one!
Last nigh on the phone I kept wondering, "Did Cristi take up smoking as a new hobby?" So sexy.
Post a Comment