22 September 2008

Ms. O

Ms. Osborne is my favorite. Not to be confused with the other Ms. Osbourne (who doesn't think I'm charming and makes me fill out forms for the things I need instead of just sweet talking). I had a run in with a student today. She's kind of a brat, but she started off so well today I was shocked when her behavior took a nasty turn. Eventually (after several warnings) I got fed up and sent her outside the room until I could come talk to her. Since it wasn't the first time she's been sent out, I joined her this time with my phone intending to make a call home. (I discovered last year that this is very effective, and a little bit fun because they squirm. I'm not really mean.) Anyway, I asked her for her phone number and she refused. (Don't worry, that didn't throw me off because I asked all the kids their phone numbers when I gave them their books and freshmen don't think to lie in the first week.) So I went back to get the number. This is effective for two reasons: a)she know's i've got my stuff together, b) she's even more afraid now because she just refused to give me her phone number and I'm going to call home anyway. She just worstened her own situation. So I started dialing and she retreated down the hall.

What happened next was actually fortunate because no one answered and there wasn't an answering machine. (basically the phone call was going to do me absolutely no good, but i didn't let her know that). She came back accompanied by Ms. Osborne who is fantastic. She works in the family services department. She finds kids who cut and tries to get them on track again and stuff like that. She is sort of a counselor who really cares about the students and I love her for it. So she proceeded to calm the girl down and get her to discuss rationally (a rare occurrance among 9th graders). She told her that i was one of the fairest teachers in the school (i believe she meant fair as in just, although fair as in beautiful and fair as in white also apply to me) and that if I was calling home it must be for good reasons. I was touched that she would be so willing to stick up for me, and also be so firm in her defense of my methods. Fairness is something that I strive for and I was thrilled that it is noticed. So apparently I'm kind of getting good at this teaching thing. Maybe this won't be my last year.

3 comments:

Dani said...

It's rill weird to hear you talk about how much you like what you're doing...

Anonymous said...

I totally laughed when you pointed out what Mrs. O meant by fair, because I totally pictured her saying, "Ms. C-Jo is the fairest teacher in all the land." And then I pictured Snow White, but with your face. :)

But seriously, you have way more patience with teenagers than I ever would!

Becky said...

Ahhh... CJo... I miss you. We seriously need to hang out again. more. Why don't you transplant yourself to the beautiful West Coast. San Fran is calling your name... and so am I!