29 September 2008

Not so much sweet talk as frustrated, sad eyed, pleading.

Prjector 6 gave out on me today. Mr. K seemed to have very little pity. I had to bring out the sad eyes. They didn't work, so I'm kickin' it old school today with the chalk and the board and the chalky hands that give me the chills whenever I touch anything. We're also flashing back to some chart paper. It's going to be great. That's only partially sarcastic AND I still like my job. So there you have it.

Today is Monday. At dusk starts the celebration of Rosh Hashanah. Based on past experience, I wrongly assumed that my students (none of whom are actually Jewish) would skip school today and extend their break to 3 days. This has been the pattern of the past and I'm not really sure how so many parents are on board with that. Quite honestly I'd probably skip if I could. That's a 5 day weekend kids! Anyway, very few kids were absent. In fact I think attendance was better than usual.

To add to my stress and the students' glee, we had our first official fire drill today. I might have been prepared had I read the numerous emails and official documents placed in my mailbox. I didn't and therefore wasn't. The students were so loud (what with the cheers that they'd get to leave my class) that I didn't hear the announcements that followed the alarm. The kids were trying to convince me that it was an early dismissal alarm (which happens occasionally). But I followed my better judgement and threatened to call home if they didn't come back to my class after the drill.
As we lined up and prepared to leave, a girl who had been complaining of stomach pain proceeded to throw up. I stood there holding the door open, herding my students out and watching helplessly as they disappeared down the hall without teacher supervision, but knowing I couldn't leave a sick student in my classroom and we couldn't evacuate while vomiting. That's some multi-tasking that we weren't prepared for. I stood there honestly trying not to vomit myself, as I have a fairly strong gag reflex. I would have liked to have been a little more nurturing, but I stood there trying not to vomit myself, as I have a fairly strong gag reflex. I don't handle vomit well. As soon as she was done she seemed remarkably well. I moved the trash can into the hall on our way out, and we proceeded out of the building where, much to my surprise, we met my students standing together waiting for me. Will the wonders of this year never cease?

AND, they all came back when it was over.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Why is it that Mormons don't get vacation days for religious holidays? Like Pioneer Day, for example. We pulled those carts dang far! I deserve a day off for the suffering on my forefathers.

Becky said...

Seriously, every time I read one of your entries I miss you even more. I am going to start saving my pennies (maybe steal some of Chloe's) and come for a visit. I need a break!!

Anonymous said...

Amen, Micah. But here in Utah, you'd be surprised how many random places use the Pioneer Day excuse to be closed....I couldn't get my OIL changed on Pioneer Day - they were closed. Duh. Anyway, even though I love my job, any extra day off work is a good day in my book!!