12 May 2008

What the bleep?

Yeah, bleep doesn't mean what it used to.  I was watching a conversation between several students in my Math A class.  Most of the students were out, so it was kind of chill.  One student just got his first cell phone and they were passing it around (it's the last hour of the day and the last month of school.  give me a break!)  One student asked if the phone had a bleep.  She didn't curse, she actually said "bleep."  And they kept talking about the bleep and where it was on the phone.  I watched, totally confused for awhile before it occurred to me that a bleep is push-to-talk capability.  Chalk another one up for the adult  in the class.  I also learned today that "Haitians is mad sexy, miss."  You learn something new every day.

I heard back from a school in Washington Heights that I want to teach at next year (and I use the word "want" very loosely at this point in the year.  right now I want to run screaming from NYCDOE and never come back.)  They want for me to come in and interview.  They sent me a list of scenarios to which they wanted me to write responses.  That apparently went pretty well, so I'll interview sometime this week.  This school is pretty great because they teach Japanese at the school.  They asked me today if I was just applying for the Japanese position or if I wanted to teach Math as well.  What?  I get a choice?  SWEET!  That's all I have to say on the matter.

We successfully hosted a meal for 13 last night.  That doesn't sound like a feat, but consider we sat around a table.  Turns out 13 is not an ideal size for a dinner party.  It was fun to have so many people over, but there wasn't time or room to talk to everyone who came.  We decided that 8-10 is perfect.  

No comments: