Today, one of my adorable freshmen, (well she was a freshman 2 years ago in my first class ever) told me she had a letter to excuse her from the last few weeks of school. I get those fairly frequently so I didn't really think anything of it. She handed me a letter that described some prescriptions she was taking and I correctly assumed she had been home sick. She then mentioned to me, almost in passing, that she had had a urinary tract infection and that she was pregnant. What?!?!?! Here's the thing, she was bubbly and happy and really excited about her condition. There didn't seem to be a downside at all to her situation. She noticed my bewilderment (probably by the distorted look on my face) and said simply, "Don't worry Miss, my mom knows." As if that was my first concern. "Oh, she's pregnant. I hope her mother knows." Should that have been my first thought. Because quite honestly I was so shocked I didn't have time for a first thought. She's a good student. What about college? What about the rest of high school? What about your youth? She didn't seem concerned about any of that. She was just thrilled that she could have children. When I was that age I was still coming to terms with the fact that I was female and all that that entailed.
Of all the students I have, or have had, I'm a little relieved that she, a fairly intelligent and rational and logical being, is having a baby and not one of my crazy students (they are a majority). That said, I still obviously stand by the fact that there is a better way, and I hope her child eventually has a family with two parents. I hope the best for her.
My Little Wahines
12 years ago
No comments:
Post a Comment