11 April 2008

Look out below, it's going to crash!

So, about two months ago our principal was promoted. The Dept of Ed thought she did such a terrific job turning our school around (I hope you can feel the sarcasm) that they made her the first ever Super Principal. That means she got transferred to another "troubled" school and has three years and a bonus of $25,000 per year to turn it around as well. Fast forward two months. We have started hearing things about misplaced funds and inaccurate reporting of our schools attendance and graduation rates. (Interestingly our principal took several of the administrators with her notably the one who was in charge of the money and the one who was in charge of the attendance.) It turns out that you can make any kind of school look amazing by changing the numbers. Here's one of the methods we used. It's awfully clever. The kid with the quote in the beginning was acutally one of mine. I saw him ONE time. Needless to say he didn't get the credits from my class. I had another student that semester who I flat out told I couldn't pass him without some kind of make up. He never turned it in but he certainly walked for graduation.

We have our Quality Review coming up in May. We got an A last year. Stuyvesant, the best public high school in the city, got a C. The system is corrupt. I don't know who paid whom, but I'm pretty sure the person who paid for our A is not around this year to do it again. We're going to crash.

No comments: