Week one of school happened as expected. The teachers were fine and the workload unsurprising. Week two was the shocker. Almost out of nowhere I realized that I don't really want to be an architect. I watched my classmates get so excited about their designs and studio projects and all I could think about was how on earth I would be able to endure such classes for 4 more years only to graduate, maybe get a peon job for $35,000 a year and sit in an office getting dumber for the rest of my life. I spent most of the summer looking for peon jobs and there are few to be had. I couldn't get an architects office to believe I was qualified for an admin assistant job. (I can file, answer phones and make photocopies like no one's business). My prospects looked grim and the more I thought of continuing on my architecture path, the more tired I got. I tell you it came out of nowhere, but it came on fierce. I wanted to drop out. I spoke with one of my instructors and my mom, who were both very honest with me. Decision confirmed.
The main problem was that I had already paid tuition. They have a silly policy of not giving you back your money if you attend classes for the first week. Being the pragmatist that I am, I decided to finish out the semester. I dropped the studio course and picked up a preservation course (it was online and I never submitted an assignment. we all saw that coming). I stayed in the other two classes (history and structures) for about 2 months. I have always liked history and my structures teacher, a structural engineer, had a way of straight talking and hating on architects that I found very amusing. About the end of October, with only half hearted attempts at passing those classes, I decided that my "I care" was damaged beyond repair. My friend John reminded me that the monetary investment was already lost, but the time investment didn't have to be. So I dropped out.
I just got back from a couple of weeks in Utah with my family. My brother and sister-in-law just had a baby, so I got some quality time. Now I'm back in Boston and wondering what's next. This is already a really long, and possibly boring, post, so the short answer is [drum roll please] I'm going back to teaching. Yes I am fickle, and perhaps crazy, but I miss it. I miss the kids, the slang, the math, the income, the vacation. Pretty much everything except the bureaucracy. I'm taking steps to get my MA teaching license. In the meantime I'm looking for private school gigs (which don't require the MA license) and I interviewed for a Boston Public Schools sub position. That's as far as we've gotten so far. So now you know what I know.
On a brighter note, it's autumn in New England!
| Me and Dani Wani |
| Meghan and me on top of Washington Tower |
| Try to forget it's a cemetery |
7 comments:
WOW! So much has occurred! No wonder your posts suddenly stopped! Well, I am bummed it didn't work out. I hope you can get a job you love! Now, more posting please! ;)
Cristi!!!! CONGRATS on making such a great, big decision!!! That's huge! I'm so happy for you! And I can't wait to see what happens next!
:)
Hooray for you!! That sounds like a major burden has been lifted from your shoulders. Way to follow the guide, you are good at that. Hope you enjoy the rest of the season in Boston, and that you get into the teaching system there, you will be so great at it (again). I can't wait to see what happens next for you.
Way to go, Cristi. Now you never have to look back and think, "If only I had tried to be an Architect..." You followed your dream and learned that you have others. Sounds like you've made a decision that you are at peace with. Hope things start heading your direction now that you know what direction you are heading. ((HUGS))
Life is meant for twists and turns. Good on you. You made the brave choice.
You're the bravest girl I know. Hey, if you get a hankering for the South, come to Atlanta!
"The hardest thing in the world, I suppose,is to understand how that you were once so vitally interested in something that no longer interests you at all."---an unforgettable line (for me) from a fairly forgettable 1947 movie, "So Well Remembered".
Auntie Nancy
Post a Comment