10 June 2009

Leaving New York Never Easy

Yeah, it's a song. I first heard it about 3 years ago, at which point I couldn't imagine it would be very hard to cut and run. Strangely, I imagined it after my first year of teaching, which was actually the easiest. Nevertheless, I'm sad to say good-bye to this place. I feel done, like I've done what there is to do here. That's weird because, owing to my guilt complex, I never feel like I've done enough. I am completely at peace with ditching this gig and going to work for the man. How's that for complete 180?

My heart has been an empty room for awhile, I think because I didn't really have time to think about being gone. Now, a summer later and with reality in my face, it really does make me sad to leave. I have met wonderful people, and I think that's what I'll miss the most, but I do feel waves of nostalgia (I'm waxing poetic) when I see a movie that is set in NYC (there is an awesome number of NYC movies in case you didn't know). I'm glad I got to be a part of it, but I'm ready to move on. (Sometimes I feel like I'm trying to convince myself about that.)

1 comment:

jeff said...

I used that same line as a post title on my blog when I left NYC last year. Good thing I did it then, because the old dialup makes it pretty hard to do anything online.

Wish I had the same sense of New York completion as you, or at least had been able to leave on my own terms. But I'm glad you're where you want to be, and I'm excited to read about your Boston adventures.