Yes that balloon does say "happy father's day." the one next to it is a christening balloon.

Here's another view, it says congratulations.

At first I thought that my sister had chosen the random balloons to be funny.
Then I saw the card:

It's the front of someone's used greeting card. You can't see, but it wasn't even cut straight. There's a jagged edge.
Here's the hand-scrawled message. 100 points if you can translate it.

There's a scripture from Psalms in the corner that's totally random.
My sister and I had agreed to talk after my last class, so I called to thank her. I started to send out feelers, because I didn't want her to think I couldn't take the joke. Then she asked me if I got the chocolates. It was at this point that we realized how they roll in flower shops in Harlem.
She was stunned when I described to her balloon bouquet (which included 2 latex "feliz cumplianos" balloons, one mylar each of "happy father's day," "christening celebration"--who sends balloons to a christening? "congratulations"--it had been inflated for a few days, and two actual happy birthday ones) and card. Apparently she had ordered through FTD (who has a decent reputation) and they went through a local flower shop in Harlem. We discussed the probability that the delivery guy ate the chocolates, and wondered what crazy guy made the card. I found the whole thing to be quite funny. But I did suggest that she call and get her money back, because the "Ghetto Gift Bouquet" was probably not as expensive as the "Birthday Balloon Bouquet" she had intended.
6 comments:
Okay, after hours of deliberation :) is this what the note says?? :
"You are the greatest. Fly high today & have fun. Wish I was there to help celebrate. Angie."
What do I win?? :) (So kidding)And so sorry I missed your b-day by a few days.... :(
Oh my gosh that is HILARIOUS! Happy ghetto-fab B-day!
Special. I (heart) NY.
Happy Father's Day, CJ! Sounds like a memorable b-day. Glad you were born!
So, I too, totally missed your bday. Sorry. On a happy note, your post was hilarious. Seriously, you wouldn't get that anywhere else, would you. HAHA.. It's great and happy late bday.
Cristi!! So glad you have a blog! i'm adding you to my blog list! and what a funny story...you must love teaching in harlem!
Post a Comment