15 December 2008

"that's a block on my phone!"

Imagine a 14-year-old full of attitude saying that in response to someone offending someone else (minding your own business is a skill most of my students have yet to acquire.) I'm actually torn about that. I know it's important in a community for people to take care of each other, and there are certainly situations which require intervention, but I can't take the tattling. It's like they're all 4 years old and their greatest joy will be to get someone in trouble. Therefore, as unfortunate as it may be, mind your own business is the rule in my class. Hopefully they'll eventulally be prepared for a higher law in which they can tell from the situation whether or not they should become involved. Fingers crossed that it happens this year.

I haven't heard a lot of crazy slang this year. There's a lot of "gassin'" but not much else. I don't think I've heard beastin' or wylin' this year at all. That could be one of two things: 1) that's old school slang 2) I have reached that coveted level of calmness, wherein beastin' and wylin' are not allowed. I suspect the former. Just the other day I might have accused myself of beastin'.

It may be time again for a career change.

1 comment:

Jnuck said...

I suspect the latter. They be respectin' you, Miss!

The other day while conversing with another adult in the suburbs I uttered the phrase "wicked cool." We both paused and then awkwardly laughed.