03 October 2008

A few things.

First, I was completely inspired by this. This week This American Life did a segment on the Harlem Children's Zone, how it started and what it does. It's kind of amazing that someone had so much vision, and inspiring that something is actually working to change things for the kids in Harlem. It also broke my heart to become aware of the mentality of some parents. I feel like I've got to ease up on my students a little. They come from a very different place than I know, even though I live here. The difference is that I can live in the neighborhood without being of the neighborhood, if that makes sense. I can leave any time I want to. Anyway, give it a listen. It might change your life. It will at least open your eyes.

Also, there are some other developments. The good news is that I don't have to teach on the 15th (or the 13th or the 9th but that's purely vacation). The juniors are taking the PSAT at our school and, because it worked so well last year (that depends entirely on who you talk to) they're shipping the freshmen off campus so they aren't a distraction. So, yes, I'm going to be among the chaperones who will herd 120 freshmen to the Planetarium and back. We're taking the subway which is terrifying to me, and most of upper Manhattan will know how my students behave in public. I'm not afraid of the subway myself, it's the keeping track of kids who ride the subway regularly. What's to stop them from bailing altogether? It's craziness. I like the other teachers who are coming so it will be an interesting time. PS I don't really see other teachers at my school. I come into the building, go to my classroom (which is tucked in a corner on the 4th floor) teach all day and don't usually leave until after 5 when everyone else is gone. No one saunters by to say hi (except some of my most irritating students from last year, grrr) because it's completely out of the way. (this can be a good thing and a bad thing).

They just pulled the fire alarm for another drill. I'm sorely tempted to hide under my desk. It's cold outside and I don't have a class this period. This is where it's good that I'm tucked in the corner. I'm seriously hiding right now, hoping they don't come in and make me leave. I'm such a rebel. I totally feel like I just got away with something. How old am I. (that's rhetorical)

No comments: