25 July 2008

The Sidewalk Chalker.

One of my favorite parts of spring and summer in Harlem is the Sidewalk Chalker. I've only seen him in action once but I've been inspired by his art for years. He's a little old man who writes inspirational messages on the sidewalks which are aimed at young students. I hope they're paying attention because the messages are priceless.


"Respect is good. Keep your pants up in public." You can't argue with that kind of advice.


"Hi Children, tick, tick, tick, How is your arithmetic?" 

Say what you will, I couldn't resist the math one. This guy inspires me. He always starts chalking when the weather turns warm, so, just as I'm getting spring fever, he starts inspiring me to be a better teacher. Props to the Sidewalk Chalker!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very cool!! I need to come visit you when these are "out" so I can see them in person!!

Elizabeth said...

All this time you have had a blog and I know nothing about it until Becky puts a link on hers!!! I was beyond thrilled to see it and now I will have to spend a whole day playing catch up on your fun teaching adventures. I love this post about the quotes. What an awesome city to live in.