28 May 2008

Overheard in the room I call home.

So, for those who haven't heard, there was an incident in my 'hood. Eight of them to be exact. They're having a hard time catching those responsible because no one wants to be a snitch. It's like they say, "snitches get stitches." Yesterday I heard a new, related phrase that made me smile. "Yo, you workin' with the feds!" It took me a minute to figure out what it meant. My kids is crazy!

I had another kid going crazy in my classroom. I'm not sure what's wrong with him. He was transferred out of another teacher's class because he was sending her questionable notes. He's a nice enough kid, but he makes me want to tear my hair out. I don't think he has a rational thought in his poor head. It sounds horrible that I think that. Anyway, he was going on (and on and on) about another student touching his "fitted." I wouldn't have had any idea what a "fitted" was if the other student hadn't been walking around the class playing keep away with the kid's cap. It's not even a fitted cap. It's the huge kind that sits on top of your head and hangs down over your ears. Not sure where they came up with that name, but I filed it away in my SSL (slang as a second language) file.

I also learned a new farewell term yesterday. As one of my students left the classroom I was standing near the door and she said, "Deuces, Miss." Where do they come up with this stuff?

I have to admit that I was coming at my student's sideways today (refer to previous vocab posts). They were driving me crazy. One student demanded that I apologize to her for accusing her falsely of talking while I was teaching. I was annoyed. That just happened to be the only time she wasn't talking since she walked through the door. They were all talking while I was teaching (that's still considered rude, right?) and they accused me of being mean. The girl who was most accusatory never shuts up so I said she was the biggest hypocrite I'd ever met. She of course was insensed. I'm not convinced that she knows what a hypocrite is. But I explained to her the best I could that it's not really okay to call someone rude when you're engaged in acts of rudeness. I wanted to drop kick several of them today, but I didn't.

Today as we were cleaning up to leave for the day, one of the student asked if he could leave as soon as the bell rang. I told him no because he wasn't sitting in his seat and had his hat (fitted) on. He took it off and asked if he could sit near the door. I thought he was just excited to leave for the day, and I said no. (sometimes I practice my no. i'm getting real good) He was insistant and said, "Please Miss, someone be waitin' for me after class." He's a pretty big kid. Kind of skinny, but tall so I thought it was hilarious when he said, "that is one big girl. C'mon, Miss and this is a dead end." (referring to the fact that my classroom is in a fairly secluded corner of the school. Needless to say, he ran pretty fast when the bell rang from a girl.

No comments: