This week I came as close as I ever have to getting hit, by a student. My students ask me regularly (perhaps hoping my answer will change) what I would do if someone in the street randomly hit me. They want me to say that I'd chase the guy (or girl, I guess) down and hit him back. But honestly, I'd be so completely shocked that I don't think my hitting reflexes would kick in. I don't think hitting is a good idea, and just like my suburbian mentality might suggest, I don't think hitting solves anything. It just makes people angrier. Why can't we all just get along?
Anyway, the student who almost hit me has been a bit of a pill since the beginning. He came into my class with his headphones blaring. I've asked him before not to bring them to class. (Theoretically I'm supposed to confiscate electronics, but what kid in his right mind is going to turn them over to me without a fight? I don't fight so I just tell them to put it away. That method usually works.) He put them away until about ten minutes before the end of the period, at which point he and one of his buddies head banged around the classroom each with one pod in one ear. To say I was irritated would be an understatement. I don't think I've been so upset in my life. Looking back on it, the amount of anger I felt is kind of scary. I told him to put the ipod away. He didn't so I walked toward him (that usually moves students to action.) I got there and he wasn't really complying, just taking his sweet time, so I grabbed the chord of the earphones. He grabbed on as well and it was like a standoff. My voice was calm but the situation was intense. I think most of the students were scared for me and most of them were trying to talk him down. I don't know why it was so important not to give in to what now seems like an insignificant battle. It wasn't until it was over that I realized that I was probably in some physical danger. I probably wouldn't have gotten more than a black eye, but let's be honest. That's more than I want.
I had him transferred into another class when the semester changed, for both of our sakes.
My Little Wahines
12 years ago
No comments:
Post a Comment