So, I kind of feel like I've let my students down. We seem to be past the point of no return. I've lost control and there's nothing I can do except hope their next teacher will catch them up and teach some discipline. Remember the class where one student showed up? Yeah, that happened a couple of more times and they have state exams next week. I don't know what to do. I guess we can try again next semester when they have to repeat the class.
In my other classes, it's obviously the end of the semester. You may not know what that means, so let me enlighten you. ALL of my students are VERY nice to me and ask at least once a day if they're passing my class. Those who are most concerned are those who haven't done a thing all semster. Most unbelievable are the students who don't do anything all period long and ask you as the bell is about to ring if they can have some extra credit work. Extra credit is for people who are recieving credit in the first place! I told them yesterday I wouldn't give extra work to anyone who didn't turn in more than half of the homework. They all wigged out, shocked that I could ask anything so unreasonable. What can I say? I'm a teacher.
Recently a friend of mine planted an idea in my brain, which still remains. He left a message on my phone in which he said, "you're probably at work molding young minds." It was short and simple, but I was suddenly struck with the responsibility of what I'm doing, or should be doing. I don't know why it hit me so hard, but it did.
Overhead markers. How does the ink come off the overhead projector so easily, yet stay permanently on my fingers? It's one of the great questions. Also, "as near as I can tell" and "as far as I can tell" mean the same thing. Shouldn't they mean just the opposite? Just a little something to think about.
In other news, I experienced Chicago-esque wind here the last few days. It reminded me of the good ole days in the Windy City. It never seems to be blowing in the right direction though. Always bitter and in my face, not unlike some of my students.
My Little Wahines
12 years ago
No comments:
Post a Comment