11 November 2005

Lessons in Vocabulary

I feel like I have a fairly good grasp on the English language. But some of the phrases that my students throw out at me are foreign. I recognize the word, but have no idea what it means from the context. Beastin' for example (as in, "Miss, why you be beastin'?") threw me for a couple of days. It means making a big deal out of something that's small. So when I tell a kid several times to take out a pencil and paper, I might be seen as me "beastin'." Just a word to the wise, it's NOT a good idea to tell the head of security that he's beastin'. He's huge and kind of scary. I saw an unwise student do that. I feared for him.

"Yo, chill!" means shut up. It's closely related to some popular phrases of the past such as, "Chill out!" and "Take a chill pill." I especially like it when I'm trying to get everyone's attention the class is nearly quiet and someone yells "Yo chill!" and the class erupts again. When I stare down the student responsible they remind me that they did it to help me. But really, not so much helpful. When I yell "yo chill" they just laugh. Apparently I can't get away with it.

One of my student's called me foul yesterday. I was coming out of my classroom and he was standing by the elevator waiting to go down. In my school you need a key which only teachers have. He asked me to use my key so he could use the elvator. I asked him for his elevator pass, knowing that he doesn't have one. He gave me a loud sigh then took off his backpack, all the while complaining that I was making him do something so extraneous as show an elevator pass. Just then Mr. Willis came by. He's was actually going to use the elevator and I wasn't so I happily turned the situation to him, telling my student to show Mr. Willis his pass. I proceeded to walk down the stair. I finished up my business and was on my way up the stairs again when my student passed me coming out of the stair well. As he passed he said, "You're foul, Miss."

On a brighter note, Larry is doing much better. He's not always attentive or hard working, but he is much more respectful. I met his father at parent teacher conferences and things have been getting better since. Here's hoping the trend continues.

3 comments:

Carol said...

That's how if feel when I'm talking to my British friend Maria. I hear the words, but have not clue as to the meaning. I spent three days this month in a British KG and the teacher's simple commands to the class such as quiet down, pay attention, etc were words I'd never associate with such requests. I wish I could remember some of them. But at least the little kids figured them out which was good 'cause there were only 1 brit in the whole class.

As for your class disrupter: giving him a stare down only gives him the undivided attention of the whole class. Always avoid rewarding negative behavior with attention. Keep attention at a positive level. Stand by the door as they enter and leave, smile, make eye contact, touch arms, hands, greet them with genuine affection. Be glad to see them. Start the lesson imediately and enthusasticlly asap. Save about 3 minutes to chill and chat at the end of the class as a reward for good attention.

If class is disrupted, ask another student to tell the offended to chill and stop wasting class time. Ask class to suggest a proper punishment (limit time to 30 seconds) No eye contact with disrupter: only with class.

If disruptions still occur, quietly announce at the start of your next class that the next time anyone disrupts your class and prevents learning they will have to pay back the class for the time they stole from them. One minute of class time costs 30 minutes of detention for the first offense, 1 hour for second offense.

Also try getting the class mad at the disrupter by assigning extra homework to cover lesson time missed or giving a pop quiz before you teach the material since your teaching time was stolen, etc.

Make the disrupter face the wrath of the class by spreading the effects to them. You remaind very supportive and sympathetic to the class, but you have a job to do: teach math: and you hate to look bad at your job. You like your job, you take pride in your job, (brag about this class a little) and you won't let anyone make you or your class look bad and prevent learning. Be kind, calm, supportive to the class, as you give them your attention and avoid eye contact with the disrupter.

Hope this makes sence, and you can read through my terrible spelling.
We're rooting for you, Cristi

Cristi Johnson said...

Thanks for the advice. I love the "stolen time" thing. I'll give it a try and let you know.

vora said...

wow, i give huge props to teachers. especially at that level. just wanted to say i like your blog :)