12 October 2005

What the. . .?

Last week we had two days off for Rosh Hashana. This week we had Columbus Day and tomorrow we get a day for Yom Kippur. Don't get me wrong, I'm a fan of paid vacation, but it's so hard to refocus the students even after the weekend. If it's a midweek break, forget about it.

So I made it through the day with minor mishaps. They were the usual ones like kids cursing at me and refusing to do work. I came back from Columbus Day weekend with a cold, so my voice was already weak. Today my students were bouncing off the walls, as can be expected. And since corporal punnishment isn't an option, I was powerless to do anything.

In other news, exactly one student showed up for my 8th period class today. For you visual learners, that's 1/32 of all my 8th period students. Usually about 1/3 show up. I'm not sure what the deal was today. I even had a great lesson on symmetry prepared. I had visions of an incredible bulletin board using the classwork from today. My superiors were going to be way impressed. As it stands, mine and Rosea's classwork isn't really enough to be impressive. Although we both did outstanding work.

No comments: