I shocked all of my students this week when I told them to shut up. Yes I said those exact words, no sugar coating or anything. They were quiet for a fraction of a second before they returned to the previous level of loudness. One student said, "@!#&, Miss Johnson, I wondered when that side of you was going to come out." It caught me off gaurd, I think I forgot to get after her for cursing. They had little sympathy for me during my cold, which I still have almost 2 weeks later. I took the opportunity to use new methods of getting attention when I couldn't yell. Slamming a book on the floor was very effective. I've never experienced such silence. Unfortunately, it only worked once. After that it didn't phase them. Tapping on the desk loudly with a ruler seemed to annoy them, but not enough to make them stop talking. I welcome any suggestions.
My power as a teacher hit me like a ton and a half of bricks today. I've been having trouble with one of my students, let's call him Larry, since the first day of class. I've tried talking to him, detention, suspention, parental intervention. Nothing has worked. I send him out of class almost every day because he's disrespectful, which I can handle, but he's also loud and distracts other students. Today, not suprisingly, I sent him out. But not before I yelled at him. I've yelled in frustration and sheer annoyance, but today was the first time I yelled in anger. After class the dean of the floor came to talk to me. He said I can't keep sending Larry out or he'll get suspended. The kid is seriously beyond my control. Even if I could use corporal punnishment, I'm pretty sure he could take me. Kicking him out is my only solution.
During my last class, the head of security, Mr R, stuck his head in my room and asked me to go in the hall to talk to him. There was my trouble maker. Mr R. told me to explain what had happened today. Because it's been such a problem, they were going to kick Larry out of the school. After a little lecture, Mr R turned to me and asked me what I wanted to have happen. I said that I wanted to believe that Larry would change his behavior in my class. It was a surreal experience as Mr. R explained to the student that he'd better behave, because my word will send him packing. He said, "When she tells you to jump, you better ask how high!" I don't really want that kind of power. I just feel mean. I feel mean because Larry pretty much hates me by now. I feel like I'm the bad guy. I'm not really a fan of that feeling.
My Little Wahines
12 years ago
2 comments:
Never forget the power of Nyquil when you have a cold. Not only will it help you sleep, it will drown the day's problems with Larry.
If only I had known. I suffered through with Advil Cold and Sinus, which usually works. But it was no match for Larry-like problems.
Post a Comment