When people asked me why I wanted to teach, I would tell them that it was because I was a bleeding heart. But guess what? As it turns out, the cure to a bleeding heart is 3.5 years in the NYCDOE! Woo hoo! I'm cured. I'm ready to go work for the man again!
I think my friend Becca explained it well. She also taught in public schools for two years. We actually started together and she wondered that I kept going. When you have a job wherein you're trying to save the world one kid at a time, you get burned out. Especially if you're also trying to magnify a calling and have a social life. You try to save the world during the day and you can't turn it off when you go home. You think about the kids ALWAYS! You worry about some and wonder how you're going stop hating others long enough to help them. It's very taxing.
I'm not sure why I feel like I have to justify my decision to leave. I guess a very big part of my heart is still bleeding and probably always will be. I wish I was the person who could do this forever, but I have a little bit of ocd mixed in with my bleeding heart which causes great frustration.
1 comment:
Can't wait to hear about the next step in your life!
Post a Comment