26 March 2007

To use the vernacular. . .

Here's a quick vocabulary lesson so you won't be completely lost when visiting my classroom. I have to admit it took a bit of time for me to figure out the meaning of some of these things. I usually had to get the meaning from context. One student offered to make a dictionary for me but his buddies discouraged him. I can't be to in the know as a teacher.

Beastin': It means I'm making a bigger deal out of something than I need to. "Miss, why you be beastin'?

Wylin': Same thing, updated for the season. "You wylin'!

Grimy: It means really bad or unfair. I usually hear it when I'm taking points away from someone. "Yo Miss, that's grimy!" Often heard in conjunction with "That ain't right!"

Hatin': Being mean. "Don't be hatin'!" Or "Don't hate."

G-ed Up: I only heard it once and I'm not sure what it means. If you have any ideas, let me know.

Gassin': Exaggerating or lying. "Don't gas, miss." "Yo, why you gassin'?"

Mad: It's an adjective used for pretty much any occaision. "Why you give us mad homework?" "It's mad hot in here!" "Miss, I'm mad tired!" They think it's hilarious when I mimick them.

O.D.: Over done. It means you're going beyond the acceptable level of whatever. "Miss, that's O.D.!" I generally hear it as i'm giving a quiz or handing out any work in general.

My government
: Sounds more like "mah guhvament." No my students didn't have a sudden burst of patriotism, (although I have successfully bribed them into saying the Pledge of Allegiance every morning) it means their whole names. I hear it when I have to call a student's attention by using their full name. "Yo, why you be callin' out my government like that?" They hate it btw.

Co-signin': This is the newest one and it still cracks me up. "Yo, why you co-signin'? A student said it when someone in the class chimed in (uninvited) on our conversation.

No comments: