We are leaps and bounds from where we were two months ago. Yesterday just before class started, I heard some commotion in the hall. I heard the familiar and heated voices of a few of my students. A fight was about to break out between two girls. Girl fights are so much worse than boy fights. Girls are ferocious. The thing that stood out above all the shouting however, was the calming voice of reason that came from none other than Larry. I was astounded, as you might imagine. This kid, who used to be so difficult and angry all the time is pleasant and easy-going. During class he was one of the few students who was "on task." (I don't like that phrase btw and I don't like that it found its way into my vocabulary.) He smiles more and turns in homework occasionally. Yesterday he was trying to stare me down because he didn't like what I was doing. I smiled at him to try to make him laugh, but it didn't work, he just told me it wasn't funny. Then I asked, "Is that your serious face?" and he broke into a smile.
In other news, basketball season is upon us. Do you understand what that means? My basketball players are my worst behavioral problems. They have to maintain a 65% average to stay on the team. I finally have the upper hand. I made a deal with their coach that if their behavior in my class gets bad, they don't get to play anymore. I remind them of that regularly. they are doing pretty well so far.
My Little Wahines
12 years ago
1 comment:
Good news!!!
Take your small victories and relish them. You and your students are making progress.
:)
Post a Comment